Next Steps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Helping animals

4 posters

Go down

Helping animals Empty Helping animals

Post by Jane Sladen Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:42 pm

https://apps.facebook.com/petitions/1/free-annie-the-asian-elephant/ Please sign this - takes seconds .... Thanks!! Jane.
Jane Sladen
Jane Sladen

Back to top Go down

Helping animals Empty Cat Overpopulation Crisis

Post by VoteGreenCanada Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:10 pm

cat Please support trap, neuter and release of outdoor/unowned cats (sometimes called ferals or feral cats). This costs a lot of money in Canada (much more so than in the USA), but it helps stop the breeding of unwanted cats. In many areas of both our countries, kittens are born in winter and have poor survival rates. Of course, kittens are mainly born in the spring, summer and fall. Some cats get such frostbite that they lose their ears. Sad, no?
I have struggled with "Whose responsibility are these cats?" for many years. It is the City's responsibility, and it is the Citizen's responsibility, and it is the Humane Society's responsibility. And everyone has failed the cats. Feeding them doesn't help, as they just continue to breed and breed.
I'm sorry if this is a bit of a soapbox rant, but spay and neuter your pets and ensure your family and friends do the same.
Of course, there are so many important issues when it comes to animal welfare. The biggest abuse of animals, I am convinced, is in the agricultural industry. While I am not vegetarian, I have substantially reduced the amount of meat (or animal) that I eat, and I even buy organic pet food, so I have a sense that there is at least a minimum standard of animal care.
VoteGreenCanada
VoteGreenCanada

Back to top Go down

Helping animals Empty Re: Helping animals

Post by VoteGreenCanada Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:14 pm

Move your account from GoDaddy. My friend sent me this:

"After seeing and reading about this I don't know that I want to support this company...

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/04/01/godaddycom-ceo-tries-explain-elephant-shooting/

I know we've paid for the domain name now but can we look at this again."

Basically, the CEO of GoDaddy feels that because elephants sleep on the sorghum crops of African farmers, he should kill those bad elephants. I didn't watch the video, but I heard the shots and it was chilling.
VoteGreenCanada
VoteGreenCanada

Back to top Go down

Post by VoteGreenCanada Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:15 pm

There is another website people might be interested in called ZoeNature (I think it is a dot - org). There are always interesting and thoughtful posts about animals and society. It is quite diverse.
VoteGreenCanada
VoteGreenCanada

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigger34 Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:31 pm

Trap, neuter and release (TNR) is the way to go. Several US cities have programs for TNR and some cities neuter the cats free of charge. However, once released, they do need to be fed. San Francisco has several volunteers who care for specific cat colonies. The volunteers trap the cats for neutering and then relaese them back to the same colony to live. The volunteers also feed them every day. If there are kittens or relatively tame cats within the colony (usually newly dumped cats), the volunteers catch these tame or young cats and find home for them. With TNR the colonies are stabilized and over time become smaller or disappear through attrition.
Tigger34
Tigger34
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jane Sladen Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:45 am

This site is fun and educational.

http://www.freekibble.com/

You answer one cat question, and one dog question. Takes seconds to do - multiple-choice. Whether you are right or wrong, they donate 10 pieces of kibble to cat shelters, and 10 to dog shelters. You can sign up for a daily e-mail reminder. Millions of pieces have been donated so far. cat
Jane Sladen
Jane Sladen

Back to top Go down

Post by Elizabeth Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:30 pm

elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant

Had to be the first person to use this emoticon.

Elizabeth

Back to top Go down

Post by Jane Sladen Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:13 pm

Can't imagine why!!!
Jane Sladen
Jane Sladen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jane Sladen Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:15 am

elephant Annie the elphant has retired onto a 13 acre enclosure!!!! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1373415/A-day-Anne-elephant-forget-retirement-begins-Longleat.html Thanks to everyone who signed the petition!! elephant
Jane Sladen
Jane Sladen

Back to top Go down

Post by VoteGreenCanada Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:38 pm

There are two recent elephant issues, one in Edmonton Canada (http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20110311/vet-says-lucy-the-elephant-too-sick-to-move-110311/) where all animal welfare advocates want this elephant to be moved to where she can have friends.

The other was the CEO of Go Daddy (cheap domain name retailer), who recently bragged about killing an elephant because it slept on a poor farmer's sorghum crop: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/04/01/godaddycom-ceo-tries-explain-elephant-shooting/ I could not watch the video, but the sounds of the bullets were chilling. I might have posted something about this on another part of this site, so apologies for any duplication. Our group changed our supplier because we had obtained or web address from Go Daddy. One group member dumped all her registrations, about ten. At first, I thought it was an April fool's joke, because it came out April 1, but it wasn't.
VoteGreenCanada
VoteGreenCanada

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down