Next Steps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need a green wiki?

3 posters

Go down

Need a green wiki? Empty Need a green wiki?

Post by Chriswaterguy Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:15 am

Do you see value in a green wiki? (Think of a green Wikipedia, but focused on solutions.)

Would you participate? (Edit, make new pages? Or interested in the backend stuff - organizing the pages or playing with the MediaWiki setup?)

There have been many efforts to do this, and Appropedia is the biggest and most active effort - though at ~4000 pages it's still tiny compared to Wikipedia. I'd love to hear feedback.

Chriswaterguy

Back to top Go down

Need a green wiki? Empty Re: Need a green wiki?

Post by RichardF Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:01 pm

Hi Chriswaterguy,

I’ll start by reminiscing a bit. We “met” a few years back at Wikipedia shortly after I created The Sustainable development Portal. The primary reason I created that portal was to have one that could highlight the Kiva article. That’s when you clued me in to Appropedia. Around that time, I also designed the Main Page layout for Kivapedia.

So, suffice it to say, I think wikis are a great way to host collaborative online writing projects. That’s the value I see in a green wiki – collaboratively writing about green stuff online. Would I participate? I actually don’t like writing articles, but I do like reading them. I also like making it easier to find what I’m looking for. That’s why I design wiki portals. That’s also why I designed the Contents navigation layouts at Wikipedia, so that you can browse the same information either by topic or type of contents page. If Appropedia, for example, were interested in some sort of contents organization project, I might participate in that.

Getting back to the value question, that really gets back to asking, “value for what?” to me. If it’s value in writing about solutions, then sure. If it’s about implementing solutions, then probably not so much. Someone once said that the best way to increase traffic on a website is to make it both a resource and a hub. The resource part gives you useful information and tools. The hub part sends you off to complementary resources. I really don’t know what’s the best type of website to serve those roles these days. My first guess would be Facebook, but I don’t know if it, or anything else, really does that.

Some of my questions back to you are like…
Are you basically recruiting for Appropedia with these questions?
Do you have starting another wiki in mind?
Are you looking to strengthen a network of collaborative websites with greenish tendencies?
What’s the real, untold story behind this topic?!!! Wink
RichardF
RichardF
Admin

https://nextsteps.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigger34 Tue May 10, 2011 10:05 am

Chriswaterguy wrote:Do you see value in a green wiki? (Think of a green Wikipedia, but focused on solutions.)

Would you participate? (Edit, make new pages? Or interested in the backend stuff - organizing the pages or playing with the MediaWiki setup?)

There have been many efforts to do this, and Appropedia is the biggest and most active effort - though at ~4000 pages it's still tiny compared to Wikipedia. I'd love to hear feedback.

I would like to see a green wiki and I definitely see value in having one.

I would probably use a green wiki mostly as a reference and source. I don't think I have the expertise to edit, make new pages or work on the backend stuff.

But, as stated, I definitely see value in having a green wiki.
Tigger34
Tigger34
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum